http://invitadoinvierno.com/pescado-marisco/sopa-de-pescado-con-picada/ Seafood Soup with Vegetable PasteEl invitado de invierno
Featuring shrimp, lobster, mussels, and clams this Seafood Soup with Vegetable Paste is a great entree when cold weather reigns supreme outside. This soup takes a bit longer to make as you create three different broths to use as the base for this soup. However, it is definitely worth the wait. The rich seafood flavor in this soup is complemented wonderfully with the blend of vegetables, spices, and nuts added in later stages. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.
- 2 liters water
- 2 fish (spines, if you have more, add them. Better if they have a little meat attached)
- 1 onions (medium, whole)
- 1 carrots (halved)
- 1 leeks (halved)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 liter water
- 10 shrimp (whole and unpeeled)
- 2 lobster tails
- 8 ounces white wine
- 10 mussels (small)
- 10 clams
- 1 onions (medium, finely diced)
- 1 garlic cloves (finely diced)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 400 grams crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 15 almonds (toasted and peeled)
- 15 hazelnuts (toasted and peeled)
- 1 slice bread (toasted)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 saffron (strands)
- olive oil
- 1In a pot, add the ingredients for the fish broth. Add the water, fish spines, onion, carrot, leek, and bay leaf. Bring to the boil and simmer 30 minutes. Once done, strain out all the ingredients leaving only the liquid.
- 2In another pot, make the seafood broth. Add the water, shrimp, lobster, and salt. As soon as it comes to the boil, turn off the flame. Let cool and peel the shrimp and lobster.
- 3In another pot with a lid, add the wine. Once hot, add the mussels and clams. Add the lid and let the seafood open and release their juices. Remove the meat from its shell add the meat back into the broth.
- 4Mix the 3 broths together.
- 5Separately, saute together the onion and 1 diced garlic clove.
- 6Once tender, stir in the sweet paprika.
- 7Add in the crushed tomatoes and simmer 8 to 10 minutes until the liquid has reduced.
- 8Pour the sauteed vegetables into a blender with a ladleful of the fish broth and blend. Add this mixture back into the broth along with the peeled and shelled seafood. Simmer on low to heat everything back up.
- 9Then make the picada or vegetable paste. In a mortar and pestle, grind together the garlic, almonds, hazelnuts, toasted bread, salt, and saffron. Drizzle in olive oil as needed to make a paste. When done you should not be able to distinguish any ingredient from the other.
- 10Add the picada to the soup and simmer 2 minutes. Salt to taste and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories580Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.