There's nothing better on a hot summer day than a refreshing cup of gazpacho, Latin America's contribution to the chilled soup canon. This recipe follows the classic method of combining tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, garlic, and onion with oil and vinegar and fresh herbs. Blend just until the soup is the desired consistency: longer for a smoother texture, pulsing briefly for a chunkier result. For a more traditional garnish, replace the basil with cilantro.
- 200 grams tomatoes (peeled and seeded)
- 1 cucumber
- 1/4 green pepper
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/4 onions
- olive oil (2 tpsps. of)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt (and water to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- basil leaves (Greek)
- 1Place all ingredients in a blender and mix for 3 minutes or until well blended, check the seasonings and serve with oregano and basil leaves.
- 2Serve cool in a bowl or a cup, add an ice cube if you prefer.