These hearty sandwiches are a favorite in France, although the particular components here may be slightly different from the classic version, and you should also feel free to improvise with whatever you have on hand (which is how this recipe came to be, too). The secret to the sandwich's appeal lies in the rich sauce that's poured over the top before baking, and you'll need to use sturdy rustic bread to hold up to it and the fillings.
- For the sauce: Sauté the onion, tomato, garlic, bay leaf and a little olive oil.
- Add the Knorr packet, beer, milk and water. Cook according to Knorr packet directions. Stir and season with salt, pepper, Tabasco and sugar. Mix well.
- Remove the bay leaf and puree the sauce with a stick blender. Continue to cook over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Toast the bread. Season the turkey steak and mushrooms with salt and grill the turkey and mushrooms. Slice the brie and some pickles. Fry the eggs on both sides taking care not to break the yolk. Sprinkle with a little parmesan. Divide the turkey steaks, mushrooms, brie, pickles and fried eggs between two slices of toast. Top with the other two slices of toast and top with mozzarella.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for about 10 minutes, until cheese melts. Top each sandwich with the sauce and serve.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories630Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.