In this rich and delicious Catalonian dish, cod and potatoes (two staples of the region) are mixed with a seasoned sauce and baked, topped with grated cheese, as a gratin, to get a delectable golden brown topping. The cod and potatoes are boiled first, and then the cod is shredded with a fork and the potatoes sliced into rounds. The white sauce incorporates some of the cod cooking water for deeper flavor.
- 2 slices cod
- 0.5 kilograms potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onions (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 egg yolks
- milk (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 sprig parsley (or coriander)
- grating cheese (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Boil cod, remove from pan and shred into flakes.
- Save the cooking water. In another pan, boil potatoes.
- Slice cooked potatoes in round slices.
- In a saucepan, heat olive and sauté onion until softened.
- Add flour and fry for a while, stirring constantly.
- Add some cod cooking water, enough to obtain an abundant pan sauce.
- Beat egg yolks with a little milk. Remove sauce from heat and slowly beat in egg yolk.
- Season with salt, pepper and chopped parsley. Mix sauce with potatoes and cod.
- Place the mixture in a glass baking dish greased with margarine.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until top is bubbly and slightly browned.
- Serve immediately.