"Costa Brava" style CodAs receitas lá de casa
In this rich and delicious Catalonian dish, cod and potatoes (two staples of the region) are mixed with a seasoned sauce and baked, topped with grated cheese, as a gratin, to get a delectable golden brown topping. The cod and potatoes are boiled first, and then the cod is shredded with a fork and the potatoes sliced into rounds. The white sauce incorporates some of the cod cooking water for deeper flavor.
- 2 slices cod
- 1/2 kilogram potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onions (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 egg yolks
- milk (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 sprig parsley (or coriander)
- grating cheese (to taste)
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- 2Boil cod, remove from pan and shred into flakes.
- 3Save the cooking water. In another pan, boil potatoes.
- 4Slice cooked potatoes in round slices.
- 5In a saucepan, heat olive and sauté onion until softened.
- 6Add flour and fry for a while, stirring constantly.
- 7Add some cod cooking water, enough to obtain an abundant pan sauce.
- 8Beat egg yolks with a little milk. Remove sauce from heat and slowly beat in egg yolk.
- 9Season with salt, pepper and chopped parsley. Mix sauce with potatoes and cod.
- 10Place the mixture in a glass baking dish greased with margarine.
- 11Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- 12Bake in preheated oven until top is bubbly and slightly browned.
- 13Serve immediately.