Just as grated zucchini makes a decidedly delicious addition to quick breads, it is terrific in cookies, adding its own kind of vegetal sweetness. And if you happen to grow your own, you'll be looking for ways to use up the bounty. This otherwise simple dough is packed with grated lemon zest and ground ginger. Replacing half of the regular wheat flour with cornmeal produces a cookie with a sturdier structure and extra flavor.
- 100 grams butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1 cup zucchini (grated, with the skin)
- Preheat oven to 320ºF.
- Grease two baking sheets and line with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the salt, lemon zest and ginger.
- Add the flour and mix to a thick dough.
- Add the zucchini and mix.
- Shape cookies or place spoonfuls of the dough on the baking sheets.
- Bake until light golden brown.