- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium egg
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 4 sprigs thyme leaves (picked, plus extra sprigs to garnish)
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 9 ounces low fat mozzarella (sliced into 24 pieces)
- 2 zucchini (large, 1 sliced into 24 long strips with vegetable peeler; 1 chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped)
- 4 yellow peppers (deseeded and chopped)
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- Place the beef in a large bowl with the egg, breadcrumbs, thyme leaves and tomato purée. Mix well and season to taste. Shape into 24 small balls.
- Place a piece of the mozzarella and a meatball at the base of each zucchini strip, then roll up to enclose the filling. Thread the wrapped meatballs on to 8 skewers (3 on each).
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Heat a large griddle pan and brush with oil. Cook the skewers for 3-4 mins each side (you may need to do this in batches - brush the pan with more oil if necessary). Transfer the skewers to an oiled baking sheet and cook in the preheated oven for 12 mins.
- For the warm pepper salsa, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a saucepan, fry the onion for 1 min, add the yellow pepper and cook for 1 min, then add the chopped zucchini and fry for another min. Pour in the stock and simmer for about 8 mins. Use a stick blender to purée slightly. Season to taste.
- Arrange the skewers on a serving platter, garnish with the extra thyme and serve with the warm pepper salsa.