This free form yeast bread is made with yogurt for a soft texture inside the loaf. A thin crunchy crust envelopes this moist white bread. A great white bread to accompany any dinner or to have in the morning with fresh butter and your favorite jam. This recipe includes instructions for preparation with a bread machine as well as for preparation by hand. It is important for the finished bake on this bread to bake your bread with steam.
- 500 grams bread flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (instant)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 200 milliliters plain yogurt
- 175 milliliters water (warmed)
- olive oil
- If using a stand mixer, add the flour, yeast, salt, sugar, and yogurt to the bowl. Attach the dough attachment and start. Add the water little by little until you get a smooth, slightly sticky dough. Once it forms a ball, increase the speed and knead for 5 minutes.
- If kneading by hand, put the yogurt, salt, and sugar into a bowl. Add all but 25 milliliters of the water and the yeast and stir everything together. Add the flour and mix with your hands until it starts to form a ball. At this point, start adding the remaining 25 milliliters of water little by little until the flour is completely absorbed and the dough is moist but not excessively sticky. Knead by hand for 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil a bowl and transfer your dough ball into the bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and let sit in a draftless, warm area for 1 hour or until doubled in volume.
- Once doubled, turn out only a lightly floured surface and knead for just a few seconds. Form the dough into a ball and stick your finger down into the middle. Put your fist into the hole you made and move it around, making the hole bigger.
- Transfer the dough to a baking tray without borders, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm, draftless area for another hour or until doubled in volume.
- After half an hour of rising, heat up the oven to its hottest setting.
- Once fully risen, slide the dough off the baking tray directly onto the oven rack. The dough should be directly touching the oven rack with nothing in between.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the oven with water to generate steam. Repeat this numerous times for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 220 degrees Celsius and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when the bottom is thumped.
PER SERVING *
|Calories540Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.