- 1 pound yams (Tender)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 cups vegetable oil (for deep)
- 2 inches fresh ginger root
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 inch cinnamon (stick)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or use cayenne Pepper)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala (optional)
- salt (To taste)
- 4 ounces fresh tomatoes
- 8 ounces canned tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (Chopped)
- Peel the yams, cut them into 1 inch cubes, place in a colander and sprinkle liberally with salt. Let stand 10-15 minutes, then dry on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the onion, ginger, and garlic, and roughly chop the tomatoes. Heat the il over a moderate flame, add the cumin seed, and cook until they begin to splutter. Add the chopped onion, ginger, and garlic. Cook until the onion is a rich golden color. Add all the spices and season with salt to taste. Cook a few seconds more, and then add the tomatoes. Let this cook while you continue as below.
- Heat the oil for deep frying to 350 deg. F and cook the yam cubes, a few at a time, until golden brown. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Set aside.
- Add the yogurt to the tomato mixture, and continue to cook until the oil begins to separate out. Add the water and bring to a boil. Let boil a few minutes, then add the yam cubes, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with the chopped coriander.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1710Calories from Fat1570|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat1570|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.