- 800 grams pork ribs (~1kgs)
- 10 spring onions (cut in half)
- 4 slices ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (for marinade the ribs)
- 1 cup rice wine (Shaoshing)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (Chinese dark)
- 1 star anise
- 1 clove
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (powder)
- 5 spice (Couple pinch of, powder)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or Rock Sugar)
- Marinade ribs with 2 tablespoons soy sauce, heat up 2 cups of oil in the wok with full gas power. Fry the ribs in 180C Oil for 2 minutes and place it on a plate. This procedure is for colouring the ribs.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil and stir-fry the spring onion and , ginger until the fragrance comes out.
- Place the spring onion and ginger into a stock pot and place ribs on top of the spring onion. Add all the spice, Shaoshing rice wine, soy sauce and dark vinegar into the stock pot and use full gas power to boil everything at first. Once it has boiled turn reduce the temperate to the lowest gas heat and simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Add sugar and ketchup after the ribs have simmered for 1.5 hours and keep simmering until the meat on the ribs is soft.