- 2 pounds chicken bones
- 1 brown onion (small, quartered)
- 1 medium carrot (quartered)
- 13 cups water
- 1 inch fresh ginger (piece, grated)
- 2 Thai chili peppers (fresh small red, 1/2 halved, 1/2 chopped finely)
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 spring onion (chopped finely)
- 2 tablespoons water chestnuts (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (finely)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 1/2 bunch watercress (firmly packed, sprigs)
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms (sliced thinly)
- Combine chicken bones, onion, carrot, water, 3/4 of ginger and halved chili peppers in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 2 hours or until reduced by half. Strain broth through a colander lined with cheesecloth into large bowl and discard solids.
- Meanwhile, for the wontons, combine finely chopped chili pepper with pork, garlic, onion, water chestnut, cilantro, oil, 2 tsp cooking wine, 1 tsp soy sauce, half the sugar and remaining ginger. Place 1 tbsp in the center of each wonton wrapper. Brush edges with a little water and pinch together to seal. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers.
- Skim fat from surface of broth and return to saucepan. Add remaining cooking wine, soy sauce and sugar. Bring to a boil. Add wontons to pan and cook, uncovered, 5 mins until wontons are cooked through. Divide watercress and mushrooms between serving bowls. Using a slotted spoon, transfer wontons to bowls and ladle in broth to serve.
|Calories470Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.