Serve this wild rice stuffing with rack of pork or roasted leg of pork.
- 1 1/4 cups wild rice (uncooked)
- 4 slices bacon (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup onions (chopped)
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (crushed)
- 2 cups fennel (OR celery, chopped)
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (OR chopped dried apricots)
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped and toasted)
- Rinse wild rice in cold water. Drain well; set aside. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in saucepan. Drain bacon; set aside.
- Add onion to saucepan; cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Add wild rice; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, water, sherry and thyme. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in fennel and dried cranberries.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Transfer rice mixture to a 2-quart casserole. Cover and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring once. Stir in pecans and bacon.
- Serves 8.