Some of the steps for this dressing can be done the day ahead to save time, including cooking the wild rice. Serve along with a holiday roast, like a rack of pork.
- 3/4 pound italian sausage
- 6 cups french bread (day-old, 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup almonds (slivered)
- 2 onions (large, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage (crumbled)
- 1 1/3 cups wild rice
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- fresh rosemary (optional)
- Dry bread cubes in a 350 degrees F. oven by spreading on a shallow baking pan and baking for 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Toast almonds by spreading on a cookie sheet and baking in a 350 degrees F. oven for 10 minutes, shaking pan occasionally. Saute sausage, onions, and herbs in a large skillet until onion is tender, about 10 minutes. In large saucepan, combine wild rice with four cups chicken broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain rice, reserving liquid.
- In large bowl, combine bread crumbs, almonds, sausage mixture, wild rice and cranberries; place in a 13x9-inch baking dish. Measure reserved broth and add enough additional broth to make three cups; drizzle over dressing.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degrees F. oven for 40 minutes, until heated through. Uncover, drizzle with melted butter and bake for 10 minutes more. Serve garnished with fresh rosemary sprigs, if desired.