This Wild Boar Stew with Blueberries is a decadent and flavorful dish that will tantalize your taste buds. The recipe combines the heartiness of diced wild boar, either the shoulder or the leg meat, with rich and flavorful ingredients for a sweet and savory dish that will melt in your mouth. This is a perfect dish for an intimate family dinner. Or, invite over a few friends and show off your culinary skills. We hope you love this recipe as much as we do.
- 1 kilogram boar (diced, shoulder or leg)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onions (finely sliced)
- 2 carrots
- 1 orange (organic)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 clove
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 4 juniper berries
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- red wine (1 lt.)
- 4 tablespoons beef stock (liquid, storebought)
- 2 tablespoons blueberry jam
- 200 grams fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons flour (optional)
- chicken broth
- Brown the cubed meat in a pan with the oil, then remove the meat and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the onions (thinly sliced) and carrots. Add the orange zest, crushed garlic, cloves, cinnamon stick and juniper berries, then season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with nutmeg, and add the bouquet garni.
- Return the meat to the pot and add the brandy, if desired flambe it.
- Add the red wine and broth to cover the meat, bring to boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- If the sauce is too thin, mix 1/4 cup of sauce with a tablespoon of flour with a fork. Add this mixture to the stew and simmer until the sauce is thickened.
- When the meat is cooked, add the beef stock and the blueberry jam. Adjust the seasoning as needed. Add the blueberres and keep the stew warm until ready to serve.
- Serve the stew with homemade mashed potatoes.