Wholewheat Rolls with Fennel and CinnamonHoje para Jantar
Fennel seeds are what flavor many a Portuguese-style bread, including these rolls. The little seeds pack a powerful punch in terms of their licorice flavor, and are commonly paired with ground cinnamon (as in this recipe). If the temperature is too cold to allow the dough to rise sufficiently, you can tuck it (covered) into an oven that's on the lowest heat setting. Whole wheat flour replaces more than half of the regular flour here for a more wholesome roll with a chewier texture.
- 2 tablespoons bakers yeast (granulated)
- 250 milliliters milk (warm)
- 1 eggs
- 110 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 380 grams flour
- 200 whole wheat flour
- 100 grams melted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 egg yolks (for gilding)
- 1 tablespoon water (for gilding)
- poppy seeds (for garnish)
- 1In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- 2In another bowl, mix egg, sugar, salt, and flour.
- 3Stir until smooth. Add the yeast mixture and butter.
- 4Mix well.
- 5Add the cinnamon and fennel.
- 6Cover the dough with plastic wrap or a clean cloth, and let rise in warm a place until dough doubles in volume.
- 7Tip: If the dough does not rise (cold climates), place covered bowl in the oven at 45°C (approximately 115°F) until dough doubles in volume.
- 8Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- 9Place dough on a floured surface.
- 10Divide the dough in 7 equal pieces.
- 11Divide the 7 pieces of dough into 2 pieces each.
- 12Braid the 2 pieces of dough together.
- 13Form a circle with the braid and join the ends.
- 14Place the rolls on a baking tray lined with parchment paper with the seam facing down.
- 15Brush rolls with the egg yolk mixed with the water.
- 16Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- 17Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes.