A coating of olive oil instead of butter is all it takes to make this perfectly roasted chicken Whole30 approved.
- 5 pounds whole roasting chicken
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil and position a roasting rack inside of it.
- Remove the giblets from the cavity of the chicken and discard. Rinse the chicken under cold water and thoroughly pat dry with paper towels.
- Smash the garlic cloves with a back of the knife and discard the papery skins.
- Take one garlic clove and rub it firmly over the entire surface of the chicken. Place all the smashed garlic cloves in the cavity of the chicken.
- Liberally season the chicken with the salt and black pepper, to taste, taking care to season the outside as well as the internal cavity.
- With clean hands, rub the olive oil all over the surface of the chicken, and under the breast skin.
- Transfer the chicken breast-side up onto the roasting rack.
- Tie the legs securely together with kitchen twine. Tuck the wing tips underneath the body of the chicken.
- Separate the onion into two parts and place into the cavity of the chicken, along with the lemon half, fresh parsley, and thyme.
- Transfer the roasting pan to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Roast the chicken for 80-90 minutes, or until the thickest part of the chicken breast reaches an internal temperature of 160° F.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven.
- Allow the chicken to rest on the roasting rack for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Carve as desired, and serve.
Melissa Guyre 10 Jun 2018
came out great! very easy