Delicious whole grain apple and pear crisp is a breeze to make with the Spiralizer Attachment!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut in tablespoon pieces)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 green apple (such as Granny Smith)
- 1 red apple (such as Gala)
- 2 pears (firm)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- whipped cream (or ice cream, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange oven rack to center. Spray 8”x8”x2” baking pan with non-‐stick spray or grease with additional butter.
- In stand mixer bowl add: butter, brown sugar, flour, wheat germ, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Use flat beater to mix the butter and dry ingredients into a crumbly topping, about 1 minute. Then stir in oatmeal .
- Remove stems from apples and pears and slice a small piece off the bottom of each to make a flat end. Use spiralizer to peel and slice fruit. Cut prepared fruit into quarters, add to baking dish and toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch. Pour over fruit. Top fruit evenly with crumb topping. Bake for 40 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is lightly browned. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with whipped cream or ice cream.