Welcome the autumn season with this delicious recipe for Whole Wheat Fig Pie. The crust for this pie is made from a mixture of nut and whole wheat flours. Lightly flavored with grated tonka bean, the crust is sweetened with raw sugar. Filled with a rich fig and vanilla jam, the filling for this pie is topped with a bit of the crust that has been crumbled. For best results, prepare the dough beforehand so that it can be refrigerated for at least an hour, overnight is better.
- 60 grams flour (mixed, almond, walnut, and hazelnut)
- 60 grams whole wheat flour
- 60 grams raw sugar
- 100 grams salted butter (cut into pieces)
- 1 egg yolks
- beans (Grated Tonka)
- 10 figs (ripe)
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- lemon juice
- 1/2 vanilla beans
- To prepare the pie crust, prepare the mixed flour by grinding almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts. Grind the nuts to a fine flour for a total weight of 60 grams, not necessarily in equal parts.
- Add the mixed flour to the whole wheat flour with the raw sugar, a pinch of grated Tonka bean, and the butter. Use the tips of your fingers to quickly combine all the ingredients together to an oatmeal-like consistency.
- Add the egg yolk and knead until the dough is soft and uniform in consistency.
- Shape the dough into a ball, cover it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour, overnight is recommended.
- To prepare the fig jam, peel the figs and cut them into quarters.
- Place the figs in a deep pan with the raw sugar, the juice of 1/2 lemon, and the seeds from the vanilla bean.
- Cook the figs for approximately 10 minutes on medium heat, use an immersion blender to blend the figs and return the pan to the stove for an additional 20 minutes until the sauce thickens and resembles jam in consistency.
- To prepare the pie, divide the dough into two parts, one larger than the other. Roll out the larger piece.
- Butter and flour a pie plate and add the sheet of pie crust, make some holes with a fork in the crust and add the fig jam.
- Take the small piece of dough and crumble it up completely, place it in the pie plate on the fig jam.
- Bake the pie at 170C for approximately 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool it completely.
PER SERVING *
|Calories480Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.