All over the USA, proud citizens of every state have an opinion when it comes to BBQ sauce. North Carolinians love their vinegar, South Carolinians fancy mustard, Kansas Citians celebrate savory and smokey, Texans take a tomato approach….and Alabamians like it white. Their classic mayonnaise based white BBQ sauce is addictive, don’t knock it til’ you try it. It can be used for basting, dipping, or even mixing with veg for a slaw. So take a break from the tomatoey or smokey or vinegary flavors of your region and celebrate the Alabama White BBQ Sauce! And if you are an Alabamian, thank you for your sauce.
- 5 chicken drumsticks
- aleppo chili pepper
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 3 Tbsp. mustard
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup chives
- 1/4 head savoy cabbage
- 1/2 head purple cabbage
- 2 carrots (grated)
- olive oil
- Place a grill pan over medium-low heat. Grab your chicken drums. Coat with a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and Aleppo chili pepper. Place your chicken into the grill pan.
- Grab a large bowl, a whisk, and all of your BBQ sauce ingredients. To the bowl, add mayo, mustard, apple cider vinegar, honey, and a pinch of Aleppo chili. Using a Microplane, grate the garlic into the BBQ sauce. Finely chop the chives and add them to the bowl too. Pour off half of the BBQ sauce into a bowl or mug to use on the chicken, saving the other half in the bowl for our slaw. Using a brush, baste the chicken drums with BBQ sauce. Flip and baste a few times during cooking.
- Thinly slice the cabbages, grate your carrots, and add to the bowl with reserved BBQ sauce. Season generously with salt and stir. You can add a bit more Aleppo chili here as well.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories540Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes