Pastiera Napoletana is a beloved Italian Easter cake that's popular in Naples and features a crisp crust and an interior that's like a mash-up of cheesecake and rice pudding. Its aromatics come from vanilla, orange flower water and a mixture of candied fruit. Every family has their own recipe, meaning variations abound. You'll want to sprinkle yours with powdered sugar before serving — it's the final pièce de résistance.
- 250 grams plain flour
- 145 grams butter
- 300 grams sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 lemon
- 200 grams wheat (cooked)
- 300 milliliters whole milk
- 1 teaspoon lard (or butter)
- 250 grams ricotta cheese
- 3 whole eggs
- 100 grams candied fruit (mixed)
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- powdered sugar
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and add 130 grams of butter, cut into lumps.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Make a well and add 200 grams of sugar, the egg yolks, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix together with a fork and then gently incorporate the flour into the mixture.
- Form into a dough ball, cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- In a pan, add the cooked wheat, 200 milliliters of milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, a pinch of salt and the remaining butter. Mix well. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, add the ricotta cheese with the remaining milk.
- In another bowl, beat the whole eggs with the sugar. Add the ricotta, candied fruit, orange blossom water, vanilla extract, baking powder, and the cooked wheat mixture. Mix well.
- Grease and flour a round cake pan and line the base and sides with the pastry dough, keeping aside some pastry for the lattice strips.
- Pour in the mixture and cover with remaining strips of pastry to form a lattice design.
- Bake the cake for 1 1/2 hours until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the oven with the door open.
- Once completely cool sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1290Calories from Fat440|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat440|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.