Topped with hazelnut pieces, blue cheese and snipped fennel tops, this salad is best served with sourdough rolls.
- 2 fuji apples (large, or Gala apples, cored and diced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes (halved)
- 1/2 fennel bulb (medium, thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil (California)
- 2 tablespoons mango vinegar (*,, or cider vinegar, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon dijon (style mustard)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons hazelnuts (pieces, toasted**)
- 3 tablespoons blue cheese (crumbled)
- fennel (Fresh, tops, snipped for garnish)
- In a medium bowl, toss diced apple with lemon juice; toss in grape halves and sliced fennel. In small bowl, stir together oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over apple mixture and toss well. Portion onto four salad plates; top each salad with some hazelnut pieces, blue cheese and snipped fennel tops.
- Serves 4.
- * Mango vinegar is available in many supermarkets and specialty food stores.
- ** To toast nuts: Place on shallow baking pan; toast in 350 degrees F. oven for 8-10 minutes until richly brown.