- 10 medium eggs (separated, plus 4 egg whites)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 pound jam
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease and flour a 10 inch diameter springform cake pan. To make the batter, beat 5 egg whites with 2 tbsp cold water until stiff. Gradually beat in a pinch of salt and half of the sugar. Mix in half of the vanilla extract and egg yolks. Mix half of the flour, cornstarch and baking powder together then gradually stir into the egg mixture.
- Transfer the batter to the cake pan and bake for 20-25 mins until golden and springy. Remove from the oven and set aside for 15 mins to cool. Remove the cake pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, repeat the process to create a second, identical cake. Once both are cool, slice each one twice horizontally so that you have 6 cake layers. Spread a layer of jam on all but the top layer, stacking them as you go.
- To frost the cake, mix 4 egg whites and the lemon juice together then beat in the powdered sugar using an electric mixer. Spread half of the frosting onto the cake. Leave to set for 15 mins then spread on the second half. Leave to set for 2 hours then serve.