The best way to savor a special occasion is to start it of with a sensational treat. This recipe for Walnut Bread Loaves takes time to make. You will need a couple days to prepare the sourdough bread base. This moist and flavorful bread is best broken with friends and family, so be sure to serve this up the next time you have a celebration or party.
- 500 grams flour
- 100 milliliters water
- 500 grams flour
- 10 grams salt
- 40 grams sugar
- 10 grams yeast
- 25 grams powdered milk
- 75 grams softened butter
- 230 grams chopped nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts and pecans)
- 40 grams golden raisins
- 10 grams olive oil
- Sourdough Preparation:
- 2 days before baking, combine 50 ml. water and 50 gr. flour in a small bowl.
- Cover with a damp cloth.
- In the food processor, knead the dough every 3 hours to activate fermentation and replace cloth with a new one.
- Keep cool overnight.
- The day before baking, add 50 grams of flour and 50 millimeters of water. Keep kneading the dough every 3 hours the same as before.
- The day of baking: the starter is ready, take 100 gr. for the recipe. Add 50 ml. water and 50 gr. of flour to remaining starter for another sourdough bread later.
- Mix flour and starter in a mixer bowl. Add salt, sugar, crumbled yeast, milk powder, and butter.
- Add 260 ml. of water and knead on low speed first, then gradually increase the speed.
- Add olive oil and dried fruits. Knead for about 8 minutes to get a soft dough.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let it stand for about 1 hour at room temperature.
- Divide the dough into 4 rolls, 300 gr. each.
- Flatten the dough on a floured surface with the palm of your hand to form a disk. Hold the disc by the side and fold one third of the dough. Stick the ends together using the palm of your hand by pressing slightly. Take the end of the disc and fold it again in thirds, stick it in the same way on the same side of the first flap. Fold the third part to obtain the shape of bread.
- Cover and let rise for about 1 hour 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Place a container of water in your oven and preheat it to 340F
- Score the top of the bread.
- Bake for 45 minutes, so that the crust is golden.