- 2 pounds bottom round (veal)
- 2 egg yolks (hard cooked)
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 onions (large, coarsely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup tuna in oil (canned)
- 4 anchovy fillets (rinsed, patted dry)
- capers (for garnish)
- Place the veal in a small, deep, non-reactive bowl. Pour in enough wine to barely cover. Refrigerate overnight, covered tightly with plastic wrap.
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, combine the veal with the wine marinade, onion, carrot, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer, partially covered, until the veal is tender, about 1 hour. Remove the pot from the heat but leave the veal in the liquid to cool. Remove the veal to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil and set aside.
- Strain the cooking liquid through a sieve into a small bowl (you should have about 1 cup). Discard the vegetables. Add the tuna, anchovies, egg yolks, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar and sugar to the sieve and force this mixture through with the back of a large spoon. Mix the resulting sauce until it is well blended and smooth.
- Cut the veal into thin slices. Arrange, overlapping on a large serving platter. Spread the sauce over the veal. Garnish with capers if desired. Serves 6.
PER SERVING *
|Calories410Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.