Bahn Mi is a Vietnamese sandwich that exhibits French influence. Typically made on a baguette, the sandwich features chicken and pickled vegetables. This recipe for this vietnamese style sandwich is made with ham and liver patê for a unique twist on…
the classic. Pickled carrots and radishes add the Vietnamese inspired twist to this flavorful sandwich. The carrots and radishes need to be prepared at least an hour in advance, so be sure to leave yourself plenty of time.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 125 grams sugar
- 250 milliliters white wine vinegar
- 1 carrot (grated thickly)
- 1 white radish (daikon grated thickly)
- 1 baguette (loaf, sliced lengthwise)
- liver pate (Liver)
- ham (Vietnamese, or mortadella or any cold meat)
- cucumber (sliced in rings)
- seasoning (Maggi liquid, or soy sauce, to taste)
- red chili peppers (chopped)
- 1 bunch coriander
- Prepare the carrot and radish pickle at least 1 hour before serving.
- Place the grated carrot and radish in a bowl with the salt and 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes, and then drain and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Rinse in cold water and drain and squeeze again.
- In a pan, gently heat the vinegar, water, and remaining sugar until the sugar is dissolved and some of the liquid has evaporated. Leave to cool slightly.
- Pour over the carrot and radish and leave to rest for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Spread one half of the baguette with mayonnaise and the other half with pate.
- Add the slices of mortadella or ham, and cucumber slices, and sprinkle with seasoning or soy sauce.
- Add a little of the pickled carrot and radish, well drained, a few chili pepper slices, and coriander leaves.
- Place the 2 halves of baguette together and enjoy.