Vietnamese Spring Rolls with Slow-Cooked PorkPork
Recipe courtesy of Jaden Hair of SteamyKitchen.com
- 2 pounds pork sirloin roast (tip roast)
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 yellow onion (medium, cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons)
- 1 orange (large, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, do not peel)
- 1 cup orange juice (fresh)
- 1 cup chicken broth (reduced-sodium)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (OR soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons ginger (fresh, finely chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic (smashed under a knife & peeled)
- 7 ounces plum sauce (3/4 cup sweet, also called duck sauce)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger (fresh, finely grated, use the small holes on a box grater or use a ginger grater)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (OR soy sauce)
- 8 ounces spring rolls (8-inch diameter rice, wrappers,, 22 wrappers)
- 2 medium carrot (cut into matchsticks)
- 1/2 English cucumber (seedless, cut into matchsticks)
- 1 red bell pepper (medium, cored and cut into matchsticks)
- 2 cups baby spinach (packed)
- 1/4 cup mint leaves (mixed, fresh)
- 1Season pork roast with coriander, salt and pepper. Add orange juice, broth, fish sauce, garlic and ginger to a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker. Scatter half the onion and orange in the slow cooker, top with pork, then add remaining onion and orange. Cover and cook on Low until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the pork registers 160 degrees F, about 3 3/4 hours. Transfer the pork to a carving board. Rest for at least 15 minutes.
- 2Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- 3Slice pork across the grain into very thin slices. Divide into 22 portions. Half-fill a wide bowl with warm water. For each roll, soak 1 wrapper until just pliable. Shake off the excess water and place on a lint-free kitchen towel. Fold in half to make half-moon shape. Place 1 portion of pork at the bottom of the wrapper and top with carrot, cucumber, bell pepper, spinach leaves and herbs. Roll up the wrapper tightly. Place roll on a platter and cover with a damp towel to keep moist.
- 4The rolls can be made and refrigerated up to 2 hours ahead. Serve chilled with the sauce for dipping. a couple of spinach leaves and a few herbs.
PER SERVING *
|Calories250Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.