Vietnamese Pork BowlPORK
This recipe is courtesy of Real Food By Dad.
- 1 lb. pork shoulder (sliced to 1/4-inch thickness, tip: freeze pork for 30 minutes for ease of slicing)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 shallots (chopped)
- 1 stalk lemongrass (trimmed and finely chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 3/4 lb. rice vermicelli (dried, prepare by cooking, draining, and cooling)
- 2/3 cup pickles (pickled carrots and daikon, recipe follows)
- 2/3 cup green leaf lettuce (shredded)
- Thai basil (sprigs)
- mint sprigs
- cilantro sprigs
- sliced green onions (green and white parts)
- cashews (chopped, or peanuts for a more traditional finish)
- lime wedges
- fish sauce (Sweet & Spicy Fish Sauce, recipe follows)
- To make the grilled pork: In a large bowl whisk together garlic, shallots, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil. Add the sliced pork and marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and let sit for 30 minutes. In the meantime, prepare grill for medium-high cooking. Place the meat in a grilling basket or thread the pieces on water-soaked bamboo skewers. Grill for 6 to 8 minutes, turning every minute until meat is cooked to 145 degrees F. Transfer to a plate and loosely cover with tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before assembling remainder of the bowl.
- To assemble: Add rice noodles to the bowl and layer with lettuce, pickled carrots and daikon, grilled pork, and top with Thai basil, mint, cilantro, sliced green onions and chopped cashews. Serve with sweet and spicy fish sauce dressing and lime wedges.
- Pickled Daikon and Carrots: In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup vinegar, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 cup peeled & julienned carrots and 1/4 cup peeled and & julienned daikon. Let stand for at least 30 minutes. Drain before using. Recipe can be made up to a week in advance and kept refrigerated.
- Sweet & Spicy Fish Sauce: In small bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup fish sauce, 1/3 cup sugar, 4 tablespoons white vinegar, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, and 2 gloves of garlic finely minced (optional add 1- 2 Thai chilies thinly sliced for some heat). Recipe can be made 3 three days in advance and kept refrigerated.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories630Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes