- 8 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 yellow onion (medium, quartered)
- 4 cloves garlic (roughly minced)
- 3 whole star anise (optional if you don't like the flavor)
- 3 whole cloves (talking about the spice, "cloves")
- 1 ginger (3-inch knob of, sliced into coins)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- black pepper
- 1 package rice noodles (look for the word "pho" on the package)
- 12 ounces steak (very thinly sliced against the grain, I used flank steak)
- lime wedges
- green onions
- fresh cilantro
- fresh ginger
- thai basil
- bean sprouts
Shanda B. 3 Nov 2018
Great!!! My family love it!!
Bryan Reese 29 Apr 2018
Great flavors. Need more fresh veggies at the end.
Deana Schott 11 Sep 2017
It was very good. I know it's not as healthy but I think it would've been good with a little salt to bring out more flavor in the broth. I followed the recipe exactly and everything turned out nicely except if you want it a little hotter you probably need to put the noodles and your garnishes in first and then pour the soup because it got cold pretty quickly.
Julie C. 26 Jun 2015
I added some allspice, and didn't have any fish sauce but had a few fresh shrimp which I let float in the broth for 2 minutes & voilà, the recipe is DELISH! Great job!