You've no doubt heard of (or even had) rice pudding, but maybe not rice noodle pudding, but that's the best way to think of this dish. Sweet pasta dishes actually have a long tradition in many cuisines, and it's certainly worth giving this version a try. After all, it's pasta, so there's that, plus lots of egg yolks, so it's super rich and custardy, with grated lemon zest adding a bright note.
- 6 egg yolks
- 200 grams sugar
- 1 liter milk
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 1 pinch salt
- 500 grams vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- cinnamon (to taste)
- Beat egg yolks and sugar.
- Place egg yolk mixture, milk and lemon zest in a saucepan and mix well.
- Bring to boil over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Heat plenty of water in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Season with a pinch of salt and add vermicelli while breaking into smaller pieces with hands.
- Cook vermicelli according to package instructions. Drain in a colander and quickly rinse with cold water.
- Add vermicelli and margarine to milk mixture and cook until slightly thickened.
- Pour noodles into a deep dish and let cool. Garnish with cinnamon to taste.