- 1 pound potato croquettes (frozen)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram (or oregano leaves)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 5 1/4 ounces venison steaks
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (mixed with 2 tbsp water to make a slurry)
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup port
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Oil a baking sheet then place the croquettes on top and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or following package directions until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter with 2 tbsp of the oil in a saucepan and cook the carrots for 12 minutes, stirring frequently until softened. Stir in the marjoram (or oregano) and honey.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, season the venison steaks then wrap each steak with a piece of bacon, securing the bacon in place with toothpicks. Sear the meat on all sides for 4 minutes then set aside. Add the cornstarch slurry to the pan along with the stock and port. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring, for 2 mins until slightly thickened. Return the venison to the pan along with the cranberries and cook gently for 2 mins. Season the sauce to taste.
- To serve, transfer the venison, croquettes and carrots to warmed serving plates and spoon the sauce over top.