Velveted Pork TacosPork
Recipe courtesy of Carolina Buia and Isabel Gonzalez, co-authors of Latin Chic: Entertaining with Style and Sass. For a tapas version of this recipe, make the tacos smaller and seal with bamboo toothpicks.
- 2 pounds boneless pork chops
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 package flour tortillas (12 fajita or smaller size tortillas)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 red onion
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces corn
- 12 ounces salsa
- 8 ounces sour cream (carton, regular or non-fat)
- 8 ounces cheese (Mexican blend four, shredded)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1Cut pork chops into small, bite-sized pieces. In a bowl, mix together corn starch, oil, cumin and 1 teaspoon black pepper until smooth, like a runny paste. Add pork to mixture and set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- 2While pork marinates, wash cilantro and pluck whole leaves from stems, about 3/4 cup worth. Place whole cilantro leaves in a bowl. Thinly slice 1 red onion and add to cilantro, creating a salad. (You can adjust cilantro/red onion ratio to taste.) Add a dash of black pepper, one tablespoon of vinegar and one tablespoon of olive oil, toss to coat and set aside.
- 3After pork has marinated, cook it in batches. Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a non-stick sauté pan and place over medium-high heat. When oil comes to temperature, cook half the pork pieces (without removing the marinade). Cook until the outside of the pork pieces are brown and a crust has formed and the inside is cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. If needed, add more oil to the pan, and then cook the second half of the marinated pork. Once finished, sprinkle cooked pork with salt to taste.
- 4To assemble tacos warm tortillas according to directions on the package. Take one tortilla and smear a teaspoon of sour cream down the middle. Top with 7-8 chunks of pork. Atop pork, place a spoonful of salsa, then top with cilantro red onion salad, a teaspoon of corn kernels and pinch of cheese. Fold over to enjoy!
PER SERVING *
|Calories680Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.