Here, silken tofu acts as a substitute for ricotta cheese in lasagna for a delightfully lighter dish. The tofu provides an equally satisfying creamy layer between the noodles and chunky sauce.
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 0vegetables (assorted, (best combinations will involve varying textures and flavors, such as carrots, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, and onions))
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons basil (fresh)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon oregano (or marjoram)
- 5 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound Hodo Soy Silken Custard
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chives (or green onions)
- 50 ounces tomato sauce
- Cut up vegetables into bite size pieces. If using potatoes, carrots, or other root vegetables, boil for 20 minutes, or until slightly soft. If using asparagus, steam for 15 minutes. Mix together all vegetables (except greens) in a large mixing bowl with 2 T olive oil, 3 cloves crushed garlic, thinly shredded basil, and freshly ground pepper. Oil a baking stone or sheet. Spread the veggies evenly over it. Broil for 10-20 minutes, or until crispy. Remove vegetables. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Shred the parmesean cheese. Reuse the mixing bowl to combine the soy custard, pepper, finely chopped chives or green onions, 3 cloves crushed garlic and 1 cup parm. Set aside the other half cup of parm. Beat in the egg.
- Bring tomato sauce to a boil. Add broiled vegetables and spinach (or other seasonal greens). Mix in Oregano and other favorite Italian seasonings. Simmer just long enough to reduce (10-20 minutes) the vegetables.
- Shred the mozarella.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a deep lasagna pan. Layer the lasagna in this order: noodles, custard/parm mixture, tomato sauce, mozarella. Repeat until ingredients run out (I like to make 3 layer lasagnas so that each layer is thick and juicy; others enjoy the feat of 5 layer lasagnas which are beautiful, and often hold together better, but are not as creamy.) Top off the last mozarella layer with the saved 1/2 cup of parmesean.
- Bake lasagna for 30 minutes, or until the cheese reaches desired crispiness. Allow 20 minutes to cool.
|Calories680Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE|