Roasted sweet potato gives this veggie chilli an indulgent feel and lovely depth of flavour. This is a lovely alternative to traditional chilli con carne. It's packed with good stuff so is a great choice for veggies and meat eaters alike. I like to serve it with soured cream, guacamole and either rice or tortilla chips, but it’s totally up to you…
- 2 sweet potatoes ( medium-sized, approximately 500g)
- 1 cayenne pepper ( level teaspoon, plus extra for sprinkling)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 1 ground cinnamon
- ground black pepper (freshly)
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 green chilli ( fresh)
- 400 grams beans (tinned, such as kidney, chickpea, pinto and cannellini)
- 400 grams chopped tomatoes (tinned)
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/400˚F/gas 6.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into bite-sized chunks. Sprinkle with a pinch each of cayenne, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat, then spread out on a baking tray and set aside.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion. Halve, deseed and roughly chop the peppers. Peel and finely chop the garlic.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes