Veggie PiesO Meu Tempero
These little pastries are filled with a savory blend of vegetables and would make tasty finger foods at a cocktail party. The dough comes together quickly and is a cinch to work with; you'll need a cookie cutter or an inverted glass to cut out the circles, two to a pie, and to form the pies in a mini muffin tin. Carrots, spinach (frozen is fine here), and leeks go into the flavorful filling that's seasoned with a touch of curry powder.
- 300 grams wheat flour
- 3 small eggs
- 75 grams butter (melted and cooled)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 onions (small, chopped)
- olive oil (to taste)
- 2 carrots (cubed)
- 225 grams frozen spinach
- 3 leek leaves (chopped)
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- 2In a bowl, add flour and make a well in the middle.
- 3Place eggs, butter and a pinch of salt in the well.
- 4Mix with hands until you dough is smooth.
- 5If the dough sticks to hands, slowly add more flour and knead until no longer sticky.
- 6Set aside.
- 7Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté onion.
- 8Add carrots, spinach and leek.
- 9Season with salt, pepper and curry.
- 10Cook until carrots are done.
- 11Add corn flour and mix well.
- 12Set aside.
- 13Sprinkle work surface with flour.
- 14Roll out dough and cut out large, equal circles.
- 15Cut two circles for each pie, or 28 circles.
- 16Grease pans with margarine and dust with flour.
- 17In each pan, press dough into pan so that it overflows.
- 18Add a full tablespoon of filling and top with another circle of dough.
- 19With fingers, join bottom circle to the top one and press into place with decorative folds. Brush with beaten egg yolk and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.