Vegetarian Stuffed MushroomsYummly
No meat needed for these filling and flavorful Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms!
- 4 ounces day-old baguette
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 shallots (finely diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese (divided)
- 2 eggs
- 1Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- 2Line a square baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- 3Carefully remove the stems from the mushrooms and discard or save for an alternative use.
- 4Arrange the mushrooms in the baking pan with the cavities facing up. Set aside.
- 5Break the stale baguette into large chunks and place in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse into coarse crumbs.
- 6Place the breadcrumbs into a mixing bowl. Add the grated parmesan, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- 7Finely dice the shallot.
- 8Mince the garlic.
- 9Pour the olive oil into a large sauté pan and set over medium-high heat. Once the oil in shimmering, add the shallot.
- 10Cook for 5-6 minutes, until the shallot is softened.
- 11Add the garlic to the pan, and cook for a minute longer, until fragrant.
- 12Add the cooked shallots and garlic to the bowl of seasoned breadcrumbs.
- 13 Grate the Gruyere or Fontina cheese into a bowl.
- 14Add half the grated cheese to the breadcrumb mixture. Set the remaining cheese aside.
- 15Crack the eggs into the bowl of breadcrumbs and cheese. Using a large fork, mix vigorously until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and the stuffing holds together when pinched.
- 16With a small spoon and clean hands, stuff a generous Tablespoon of filling into each mushroom. Pack the filling tightly into each cavity, using enough so that the mushrooms are domed with stuffing.
- 17Top each mushroom with a heaping teaspoon of the reserved shredded cheese.
- 18Transfer the baking pan to the preheated oven.
- 19Bake for 25-28 minutes, until the mushrooms have released some of their juices and the stuffing is nicely browned.
- 20Remove the pan from the oven. Allow the mushrooms to cool for 5 minutes before plating and serving.