No meat is needed for these flavorful vegetarian stuffed mushrooms!
- 4 ounces day-old baguette
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 shallots (finely diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese (divided)
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Line a square baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Carefully remove the stems from the mushrooms and discard or save for an alternative use.
- Arrange the mushrooms in the baking pan with the cavities facing up. Set aside.
- Break the stale baguette into large chunks and place in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse into coarse crumbs.
- Place the breadcrumbs into a mixing bowl. Add the grated parmesan, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Finely dice the shallot.
- Mince the garlic.
- Pour the olive oil into a large sauté pan and set over medium-high heat. Once the oil in shimmering, add the shallot.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, until the shallot is softened.
- Add the garlic to the pan, and cook for a minute longer, until fragrant.
- Add the cooked shallots and garlic to the bowl of seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Grate the Gruyere or Fontina cheese into a bowl.
- Add half the grated cheese to the breadcrumb mixture. Set the remaining cheese aside.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl of breadcrumbs and cheese. Using a large fork, mix vigorously until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and the stuffing holds together when pinched.
- With a small spoon and clean hands, stuff a generous Tablespoon of filling into each mushroom. Pack the filling tightly into each cavity, using enough so that the mushrooms are domed with stuffing.
- Top each mushroom with a heaping teaspoon of the reserved shredded cheese.
- Transfer the baking pan to the preheated oven.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, until the mushrooms have released some of their juices and the stuffing is nicely browned.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Allow the mushrooms to cool for 5 minutes before plating and serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories260Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|