Pumpkin cakes are wonderful in the fall, when you may yearn for the warming spices that are usually part of the flavor profile. In this recipe, mashed cooked pumpkin is combined with honey, oranze zest and juice, and sure enough, ample spices: groun…
cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. As if that wasn't enough, the cake is topped with a classic crumble mixture with a twist (peanuts are added along with the walnuts), which also includes cinnamon and brown sugar.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup peanuts (chopped)
- 450 grams pumpkin (cooked and mashed)
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 orange (zested)
- 1/2 Orange (juiced)
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Grease a baking dish and line with parchment paper.
- For the crumble. In a bowl, mix (with fingertips or a pastry blender) flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and oil until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add walnuts and chopped peanuts. Mix well. Set mixture aside.
- For the dough, mix pumpkin, soy milk, oil, sugar and honey.
- Beat well. Add orange zest and juice.
- Gradually, mix in flour, baking powder and spices.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking dish and smooth out the surface.
- Spread crumble on top. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in preheated oven.
- Cake is done when toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cut into squares.