- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 pound polenta
- 1/4 pound parmesan cheese (grated)
- grated nutmeg (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions (peeled and sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and sliced)
- 1 pound mushrooms (wiped and halved)
- 1 pound green peppers (deseeded and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder (mild)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 ounces corn (drained)
- 15 ounces chopped tomatoes (cans)
- 12 flat leaf parsley leaves
- To make the polenta, add the milk to a saucepan with 1/4 cup butter, 6 cups of water and 1 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and whisk in the polenta. Return to the heat and simmer gently for 5 mins, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Stir in the Parmesan and grated nutmeg to taste. Transfer to a greased and lined 10 x 12 inch baking dish and leave to cool.
- To make the mushroom chili, heat the oil in a large frying pan and stir-fry the onion and garlic for 3 mins. Add the mushrooms and peppers and cook for 6-7 more mins. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, corn and tomatoes, bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 4-5 mins. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut the polenta into 12 pieces and press a parsley leaf into each. Melt the remaining butter in a non-stick frying pan and fry the polenta pieces for 2 mins on each side, or until golden. Serve with the mushroom chili.
PER SERVING *
|Calories710Calories from Fat430|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat430|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.