- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons creole mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 quart vegetable stock (or broth)
- 4 cups okra (sliced)
- 16 ounces red beans (drained and rinsed)
- 8 cremini mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini (diced, 1 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups green pepper (diced, 1 large)
- 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper (diced, 1 large)
- 1 cup celery (thinly sliced)
- 4 cups jasmine rice (cooked)
- 1/2 cup green onion (sliced)
|Calories660Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Kim 23 Oct 2018
It was really good. I know it was supposed to be vegetarian however I added shrimp. But it really was a delicious dish. I also added more seasoning for flavor. I’ll definitely make it again.
S 16 Sep 2018
The depth of flavor in this dish is amazing. If I wasn’t the one who made it, I would swear it contains meat. Delicious!
Porter 22 Jul 2018
Lovely gumbo! It is very aromatic with a wonderful smokey flavour. I will definitely make this again.
Amy B. 27 Mar 2018
Added a large.can of crushed tomatoes, and some japanese eggplant. Delicious. Good.flavor.
Liz 25 Mar 2018
Love this. Fantastic with some Frank’s Red Hot sauce sprinkled on top. Used frozen okra the second time I made it and it was just as good as fresh (plus frozen is cheaper and easier). A keeper!
Christina 5 Mar 2018
Wonderful recipe, so flavorful and looks great too. Tasted even better the second day. I added cayenne pepper for extra kick. Did not have red beans so I used black beans. Will cook again.
Joanna VonSeggern 18 Jan 2018
Ok so I’m giving this 5 stars because the flavor mixture was so convincing that my husband thought it had sausage in it. However, for my own record.... I did add shrimp and the shrimp was overpowered by everything else so I think next time I will use shrimp stock to give it that extra boost. Fantastic recipe though!
isran asnawi 12 Jan 2018
Delicious, more than i imagined as non veggie
Kimberly 11 Jan 2018
This dish was easier than anticipated and had a wonderful flavor. I added about half of the red pepper flakes as my family is more hesitant towards spice, but the dish was still very tasty and he perfect amount of hot for us. I also modified some of the vegetables, I think it would work well with almost anything you have in your fridge.
Kevin 3 Jan 2018
I just dumped all the ingredients into a slow cooker. It tasted good to me.
Unique H. 29 Dec 2017
This recipe provided a great starting point for my dish. I did end up adjusting the base to get the flavor profile I was after- the end result was amazing! I also added some faux sausage and shrimp.
Kionna Williams 19 Nov 2017
Great meal! Made it just as is.