- 1 yellow onion (or lg white, chopped)
- 2 leeks (washed, trimmed and chopped, including a bit of the green top)
- 4 celery (ribs, chopped)
- 3 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 green peppers (or red, seeded, pared and chopped)
- 4 potatoes (mediums, peeled and cut into 1" cubes)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped fine)
- 12 ounces diced tomatoes (together with their juice)
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 8 tablespoons hungarian paprika (sweet, or adjust to your taste)
- 3 tablespoons canola (or other mild vegetable oil)
- 4 cups vegetable (or other stock, or water)
- 1 cup firm tofu (cut into ½" cubes)
- In a non stick or other stockpot, heat the vegetable oil until hot
- Add and sauté the onion, leeks, and celery until soft and the onions are translucent
- Stir in the paprika, caraway and garlic, and heat through 1-3 minutes
- Add the carrots, green peppers, onions, potatoes, tomatoes and their juice
- Add 4 cups stock or water
- Bring to the simmer and heat at a low simmer for 45 minutes.
- If using tofu add in the final 15 minutes of cooking.
- The goulash is ready to eat when the vegetables are tender.