Enchiladas are a delicious and filling meal that are fairly simple to put together. This recipe for vegetarian enchiladas features mushrooms, onions, chiles, and spinach for a flavorful filling. The filling is rolled up into corn tortillas and then topped with cheese and a green tomato and serrano chile pepper sauce. The sauce adds a little bit of heat and a ton of flavor, while the cheese accents the spice and pulls everyhring together.
- 0.25 kilograms green tomatoes
- 1 chile pepper (Serrano)
- 1 garlic clove (peeled)
- 4 sprigs coriander
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 1/4 onion (peeled and slice)
- 1 chile pepper (finely green, chopped)
- 10 spinach leaves (washed and dried)
- 6 corn tortillas
- white cheese (shredded)
- Boil the tomatoes and Serrano chile pepper in water until the tomatoes become soft. Add the tomatoes, chile pepper, garlic, and coriander together in a blender or food processor with a pinch of salt. Puree until smooth.
- Place a large pan or wok on the stove on medium heat. Add the olive oil, mushrooms, onion and chile pepper and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt and the spinach. Mix well and cook for another minute.
- Heat up the tortillas on a separate pan, fold them in half and then fill them with the mushroom and spinach mixture.
- Add cheese, close the tortillas, and pour the tomato sauce on the tortillas. Sprinkle more cheese on top and serve.