Vegetarian EmpanadasMadeleine Cocina
Empanadas are pockets of flaky, buttery crust filled with various sweet or savory ingredients for a hand-held dish. This recipe for Vegetarian Empanadas are perfect for snacks or main dishes. It takes 65 minutes to prepare these delicious creations that have 790 calories per serving. Who doesn't love a flaky and butter crust packed with gooey goodness? Top them with low-fat sour cream for a dreamy and delicious dinner. Enjoy!
- 1/2 kilogram flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 50 grams vegetable shortening
- 2 1/2 poblano peppers
- cooking oil (spray)
- 1 1/2 onions
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup goat cheese (crumbled)
- 1 1/2 cups chihuahua cheese (diced)
- ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2In a bowl, add the flour, salt, and sugar. Add the egg in the middle.
- 3Separately, melt the shortening in 1/2 cup warm water. Pour into the middle of the flour, salt, and sugar and knead. The dough should be soft and smooth. Cover with a rag and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- 4Make 4-centimeter balls. Flatten with the rolling pin until thin.
- 5Roast the poblano chilies, let them sweat, then peel. Cut into thin strips and set aside.
- 6Spray cooking oil into a skillet and place over medium-high heat. Slice the onion into thin half moons and add to the skillet. Once it turns golden brown, add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove and mix with the poblano chili strips. Let it cool.
- 7Add the cream and cheeses. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Fill the empanada dough circles with the filling. Close the empanadas and seal with a fork. Brush with the remaining egg and make a few holes in the empanada to let the vapor out.
- 9Bake until golden brown and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories790Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.