This Spanish style omelet, which goes by the name of tortilla, is very similar to Italian frittate in that the fillings are first sauteed in the skillet before the eggs are added. Onion, leek, tomatoes, carrot, smoked turkey, peas, and fresh chives are used to make the filling here. The easiest method is to transfer the pan to the oven once the eggs are added; otherwise you can invert the tortilla onto a plate, then slice it back into the pan to cook the other side.
- 1 onion (small)
- 1/2 leek (small, chopped, white part only)
- olive oil (to taste)
- 2 plum tomatoes (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 4 slices turkey ham (smoked, diced)
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 3 extra large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- salt (to taste)
- white pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup peas (cooked)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and sauté onion and chopped leek.
- Add tomatoes, cook for a few minutes and add grated carrot.
- Dice ham and add ham and chives to pan with vegetables.
- Mix well. Beat eggs and milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture and peas into pan with ham mixture.
- Bake until very firm.
- Invert vegetable tortilla on a plate and return to pan and cook on other side, or just brown top side.