- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion (small, chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 leek (small, cleaned and sliced, white and light green parts only)
- 2 stalks celery (sliced)
- 4 medium carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 1 cup butternut squash (chopped, 1/2" cubes, *see notes)
- 3/4 cup French lentils (rinsed and drained)
- 4 cups vegetable stock (no / low-salt)
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes (can chopped, low salt)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound baby bok choy (greens cut as a chiffonade, white parts added with the carrots and other vegetables, *see notes)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- sea salt
- ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
PER SERVING *
|Calories250Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Lauren E. 11 Feb
One of my favorite recipes! I substituted collard greens for bok choy and it was delish.
Shaun 26 Nov 2017
Really easy and delicious recipe that made enough for days!
K F. 18 Apr 2016
A nice hearty meatless soup- I substituted sweet potato for the squash and added a can of small white beans in addition to the lentils.
Devona L. 26 Mar 2016
This soup turned out way to hot for me, its a rather hearty soup so I added a small can of V8 juice to tone the heat down, I also added some sour cream to my single serving of soup and that made it more like cream of tomato consistency, very nice. The next time I make it I will leave the cayenne pepper out. I also added cubed zucchini vegetable soup is so versatile what ever vegetables you have on hand may be added.
Mari H. 20 Jan 2016
I really enjoyed this soup. I had small green lentils and use them instead of the French lentils. I had turkey broth in the freezer so I used that instead of veg. broth. This a nice hearty soup, perfect for a cold winter night.. I would make it again and will take some to work so my co workers can taste it!