A delicious vegetable quiche recipe is great to have mastered for when you want a simple recipe to prepare for brunch. This version features bell pepper, mushrooms, and onions as the vegetable base which results in a flavorful and savory dish. Eggs add protein and keep everyhing together inside a flaky crust while a little bit of cheese adds a nice bit of creaminess and slightly cuts the spice of the salsa.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lard (cold and cubed)
- 2 tablespoons butter (cold and cubed)
- 6 tablespoons ice water (cold)
- 1 onion (small, diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 200 grams mushrooms (sliced)
- cooking spray
- salt and ground black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon parsley (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon salsa (prepared spicy)
- 1 cup cheese (melting, shredded, such as mozzarella)
- Preheat the oven to 230 Celsius.
- Place the flour and salt in a mixer and mix on low speed for 1 minute. Add the lard and butter and mix for 1 minute, until crumbs are formed.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until a dough is formed. Remove from the mixture, divide into 2 portions, cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface until 2-3 millimeters thick. Place in a pie pan and trim to size. Prick with a fork and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until golden around the edges.
- Saute the onion and pepper in a skillet spritzed with cooking spray at medium-high heat. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs together with the milk, parsley, salt, and salsa.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the pie crust and then layer in the vegetable mixture. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20 minutes at 180 Celsius, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories800Calories from Fat440|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat440|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.