This hearty chowder, simmering in the slow cooker all day, is perfect to come home to on chilly days—autumn, winter or spring. Put a pan of biscuits in the oven to accompany this full-meal soup.
- 4 boneless pork chops (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 4 slices bacon (diced)
- 2 large potatoes (peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups celery (sliced)
- 1 cup onion (coarsely chopped)
- 29 ounces beef broth (OR vegetable broth)
- 2 cups vegetable (blend, frozen,, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower)
- 10 3/4 ounces cheddar cheese soup (condensed)
- 1 cup light cream (OR half & half)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (OR Fontina cheese, shredded)
- freshly ground black pepper
- In 4-quart slow cooker, combine pork, bacon, potatoes, celery, onion, and broth; cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 hours, until pork and vegetables are tender. Stir in frozen vegetables, soup, cream and dill. Cover and cook for another hour, until everything is tender. Garnish each serving with some shredded cheese and pepper.