- 250 grams tomatoes (ripe)
- 100 milliliters cider vinegar
- 1 apple (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 3 centimeters ginger (piece, peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 liter vegetable oil (for frying)
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 500 grams natural yogurt
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 375 grams chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 courgette (sliced)
- 1 aubergine (chopped)
- 2 onions (rounghly chopped)
- 400 grams potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- fresh herbs (to garnish)
- mango chutney
- For the tomato chutney, use a knife to carve a cross in the bottom of each tomato. Blanch them in a pan of boiling water for 30 seconds then remove from the pan and plunge into ice water. Peel away the skin then chop. Place the vinegar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the chopped tomato, apple, ginger, garlic and brown sugar. Stew for 2-3 mins then stir in the lemon juice, cayenne pepper and 1/2 tsp salt. Boil, uncovered, for 20 mins. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan until it shimmers. Meanwhile, mix the yogurt, mint and cumin together and season. Chill.
- Mix the chickpea flour, baking powder, 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper and 1-2 tsp salt together in a bowl. Gradually stir in 1 1/2 cups water until a thick batter forms. Drag the vegetables through the batter individually then lower them into the hot oil. Fry for 5-7 mins, depending on the vegetable, until golden.
- Remove the vegetables from the oil using a slotted spoon then drain on paper towels. Serve with the tomato chutney, yogurt sauce and sprinkle with fresh herbs. Serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1800Calories from Fat1420|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat1420|
|% DAILY VALUE*|