- 1 pound ground lamb (or ground round or ¾ lb. each)
- 1 cup rice (or bulghour, or a combination)
- 1 cup green bell pepper ([chopped fine])
- Italian parsley (or cup Armenian, [chopped])
- 8 ounces crushed tomatoes (or tomato sauce)
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 yellow onion (medium, [chopped])
- 1 cup water (or or 1 can Swanson's, r chicken broth)
- Vegetables:A variety of vegetables can be used including red, gold, and or green bell peppers. Also used are zucchini squash [large], tomatoes, potatoes, onions and apples.
- Scoop out the vegetables leaving an opening for the filling of about 1 1/2 -2 inches in diameter and about 2-3 inches deep. Fill the scooped out vegetables with the filling mixture and place upright in a large covered casserole.
- Pour over the crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce with broth or 1 cup of water.
- Cover and cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Try this dish served with a dollop of Mahdzoon or yogurt over the filled vegetables.
- Mahdzoon:*1/2 gal. whole milk [can use lo-fat or skim milk]
- * 1/2 cup mahdzoon or yogurt starter [off the shelf of the supermarket plain yogurt will do]
- * Bring milk to just a boil and then set aside to cool. Just cool enough not to bite the finger to touch,(About 120 degrees] . Pour warm milk in a glass or pyrex bowl and add the Mahdzoon starter. Mix well by stirring the starter in, and cover. Completely cover the bowl with towels top and bottom to maintain an even temperature. Keep covered at room temperature until mahdzoon has set [3-4]
PER SERVING *
|Calories440Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.