- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 3 1/3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 2 stalks lemongrass (thinly sliced)
- 1 red chili (de-seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 piece fresh ginger root (peeled and sliced very thinly)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 carrots (very thinly sliced)
- 1 eggplant (small, diced)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons mild olive oil
- 1 bunch spring onions (finely sliced)
- cilantro sprigs (to garnish)
- Put the coconut milk and stock in a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the curry paste, lemon grass, chili, ginger and lime leaves and cook on the lowest heat for 5 minutes. Add the carrots and eggplant. Cover and cook very gently for a further 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- To make the crisp bread, mix the flour in a bowl with the lemon juice, olive oil, a pinch of salt and enough water, about 1/3 cup, to make a very thin, smooth batter. Heat a non-stick frying pan or crepe pan and spoon in a little of the batter. With the back of a spoon, spread the mixture very thinly and cook until golden on the underside. Flip with an offset spatula and cook until once again golden underneath. Slide out onto a plate and cook the remaining mixture in the same way.
- Stir the spring onions into the soup, season to taste and ladle into soup bowl. Garnish with chervil or coriander and serve with the crisps, broken into pieces.
PER SERVING *
|Calories400Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.