- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion (medium, chopped in small pieces)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (finely)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (I used Penzeys Regular Chili Powder, which is quite mild.)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican oregano)
- 1/8 teaspoon chile pepper (dried Chipotle, or cayenne; use more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1/4 cup red lentils (or use more brown lentils if you don't have red ones)
- 3 cans vegetable broth (14 oz. can, + 1 can water)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 6 ounces black olives (drained and sliced)
- 12 ounces roasted red peppers, drained (and chopped)
- lime slices (for serving, optional)
|Calories300Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Sahde 28 Nov 2018
Amazing recipe Would make again
Kim Evans 14 Jul 2018
Excellent flavor. Hearty meal. Used 3 cups of vegetable stock. Careful with the 2 T chilli powder- not all brands are same strength. I roasted my own peppers.. gave it a lovely taste. I ommited the olives. Added generous handful of fresh coriander at the end.
Shane Malachow 25 Jun 2018
Great stuff! Make sure you have a big pot to make it in, comes out to close to 1.5-2qts
Stevie 31 May 2018
It turned out good, I added a little spice for myself, and a little bit of salt.
Hickling 3 May 2018
Definitely making again, added a bit of red wine and it was lovely
RJ 19 Feb 2018
My kids had 3 medium sized bowls each! There are five of us and there were no leftovers AND I had doubled the recipe! My husband, who is not a regular cook made it for us.
Mike 4 Feb 2018
Try serving with pita bread and sauerkraut. Looks like there's a typo in the ingredients; it says 3 cans veggie broth but they probably meant 3 cups. I didn't add water after using a bit too much veggie broth.
Caroline C. 16 Jan 2018
Easy to double!!!! Have made it several times
Lacey 12 Jun 2017
Amazing! So flavourful for a vegan variety. The olives were a great touch as well as using red lentils. Highly recommend and will definitely make again!
Minda C. 2 Jul 2016
Outstanding. Amazing. I will never miss meat chili ever again now that I found this incredibly flavor-popping chili recipe. Kalyn must have been so inspired to create the surprisingly tasty combination of lentils, roasted red peppers and olives--each of which I never liked before, until it was put together in a chili. I made this for a sick friend, who is vegan, and Im glad I left a good serving for me. This will be a regular in my meal rotation. Thank you for sharing this recipe!
Gerben . 29 Apr 2016
Unexpectedly tasteful!! The lime really completes the taste. I will definitely make this dish again.
luvv2bme143 . 14 Feb 2016
looooove this chili dish! the flavors from all the spices come together really well to give it a savory taste
Beorn Ursus 1 Feb 2016
My whole family loved this chili; even my 10 year old daughter. The spicing wasn't too hot but had a good flavor. We left out the onions and green onions because of food sensitivities. I added 1 cup mushrooms and added another 1/2 cup of red lentils. The chili tasted amazing. I was surprised how good the olives tasted in the chili. Kudos to Kalyn's Kitchen for an incredible vegan chili recipe.
Lena D. 6 Sep 2015
I left out the black olives, and made it non-vegetarian by adding 2 pounds of cooked ground beef - SO YUMMY!!