- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 drop almond extract
- 3 cups strawberries (washed, hulled and quartered)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the sliced strawberries to a glass bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine the flours, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized bowl and mix together well.
- In a small bowl, add 1 teaspoon water and the sugar, and mix together a bit to help dissolve the sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond milk, vinegar, oil, sugar and almond extract. Whisk together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and gradually add the wet ingredients. Mix everything together until combined.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop the batter by generous tablespoons, a few inches apart on the sheets (I recommend 5 per baking sheet).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the shortcakes are just slightly golden.
- Allow the shortcakes to cool, then slice them in half with a serrated knife.
- Add a generous dollop of whipped topping to the bottom half, then a spoonful of strawberries on top of that. Top with the remaining shortcake half.
- Add a bit more whipped topping to the top of the shortcake, and spoon a few of the strawberries over it. Serve on individual dessert plates.
|Calories630Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.