Silken tofu blended with nutritional yeast, turmeric, and cahsew milk wonderfully mimics the texture of chicken eggs in this veggie-loaded vegan quiche.
- 1 pie crust (frozen vegan)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 4 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 14 ounces firm tofu (drained)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Arrange a rack to the lowest position in the oven.
- Poke the bottom of the frozen pie shell with a fork, and place on a baking sheet. Transfer the baking sheet to the bottom rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the pie shell for 12-14 minutes, until the bottom is slightly puffed. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Reduce the oven to 350° F.
- Finely dice the red pepper. Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour in the olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the red pepper, mushrooms, and spinach leaves. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes, or until the spinach is fully wilted and the mushrooms are browned. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Place the tofu, cashew milk, nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper in a blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes, or until completely smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Place the spinach, mushrooms, and peppers in the tofu mixture. Fold with a rubber spatula until the vegetables are evenly distributed.
- Pour the mixture into the blind-baked pie shell. Cover the edges of the pie shells with pie guards or strips of aluminum foil.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the bottom rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the quiche for 55-65 minutes, until the top is firm and golden brown.
- Remove the quiche from the oven. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour at room temperature before slicing and serving.